To God be the Glory!

In this blog you may see photographs taken by Erwin Mascarinas.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Camiguin Island, the land of my ancestors

Camiguin Island, probably my  most visited province since I was during my childhood.  As I look back, I can remember the excitement that thrills my spine whenever we visit the place during summertime.  Camiguin Island is situated just above the island of Mindanao.  According to the history, the island was born out of the fire because beneath it, there is an active volcano named Mt. Hibok-Hibok.  When I was a kid, my relatives used to tell me that long ago, Mt. Hibok-Hibok erupted, and they thought the island would be banished from the geographical map of the Philippines.  Thanks to God it did not happen. 




Amidst the volcanic history of this island, there are a lot of tourists spots that you can see in this island.  My favorite spot, when I was just a kid was the Sto. Nino Cold Spring in Catarman.  Our place was a river-far from the spring.  It is like, a few hikes for about 15 minutes and then a river to be crossed, and on the other side, cold spring lies under the shade of coconut tress.   The last time I was there, there are a lot of cottages already.  Its getting commercialized.  It has even been featured in one of the segments of GMA 12.


Another tourist spot that I visited is the Catarman Church Ruins or also known as Gui-ob Church.  It reminds all the people in Camiguin of the devastating eruption of Mt. Hibok-hibok during 1871.  The church is said to be a Spanish Church where the Spaniards started to settle.




A few kilometers from the ruins, you can see the well-known Sunken Cemetery in Bonbon, Catarman.  Sunken Cemetery, Just beneath the sea waters lies a cemetery, a decades old.  It also one of the places that was devastated during the eruption.  Nowadays, people flock to take some pictures above the cemetery's Cross Marker, divers indulge themselves to experience a new aura as a diving site.


If Boracay has its white sand, Camiguin has its white island, as well.  Camiguin White Island is situated in Mambajao. When I was a kid, it was one of my dreams to land a foot on this island.  Two years ago, that dream came true.  We went there together with our friends and I was amazed by it, just like how amazed I am when I was a kid, considering that I have only heard it from the other people.

As far as I am concern, there are still a lot of places in that Island that I have not visited yet.  I know, in time, I can complete my list, after all, I know I can.

PS: To make your travel more fun, bring with you a camera! :)  Its more fun in the Philippines! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment